This is a JOURNEY and not a class. Confirmation is the Sacrament that completes your initiation that began at your Baptism. It strengthens you through the power of the Holy Spirit to help you to be a disculpe in the world and to become a more active member of the Church. This class is for Adults (Baptized Catholic) who have received the Sacrament of Eucharist, but need the Sacrament of Confirmation. We thank you for allowing us to be on this JOURNEY with you.
Laying of Hands & Anointing
The laying of hands signifies the descent of the Holy Spirit. The anointing of the confirmand, the person being confirmed, with chrism, an aromatic oil that has been consecrated by the bishop is accompanied by the words “Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit.” This seal is a consecration, representing the safeguarding by the Holy Spirit of the graces conferred on the Christian at Baptism.
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit— Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, Fear of the Lord are enumerated in Isaiah 11:2-3. Infused with His gifts, we respond to the promptings of the Holy Spirit as if by instinct, the way Christ Himself would.
How to Begin Your Journey?
- See the overview of the Sacrament Formation Journey
- Complete Sacrament Formation Inquiry Form
- Turn in a copy of Catholic Baptism Certificate and a Letter of Good Standing OR Certificate to Serve as Sponsor to the Director of Faith Formation (if you are unsure how to obtain this talk with the Director of Faith Formation).
- RSVP and join us for a Sacrament Discernment Day (Dates are coming soon).
The Formation process for Adult Confirmation includes
1. Active participation in the sacramental life of the Church and a Life of Player
- Participate fully in the sacramental life by attending Sacred Mass every week.
- Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation prior to receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation. Confession prior to Confirmation allows you to be open to receive God’s graces and outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
- Foster a healthy prayer life: Use this time of preparation to strengthen your relationship with God through prayer. Take time to read and reflect on Sacred Scripture.
2. Attend and participante to the Adult Confirmation Sessions
We have Adult Confirmation Sessions weekly aside of other activities. You will receive a calendar with the dates and times, be sure to read the assignments in anticipation. Attendance & participation at all sessions is mandatory. Not all candidates complete the preparation, or are able to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation at the next celebration. Readiness for sacrament is dependent upon each person's disposition toward the sacrament and freedom to receive the sacrament. Absence for no more than 2 sessions is acceptable. To report absence contact Robin Harris at 817-510-2726. It is the responsibility of the candidate to communicate with Formation Director and obtain any make up assignments.
3. Go to Reconciliation prior to your Confirmation
Preparation also includes making the moral commitment to attend and participate Sunday Mass every weekend (Saturday vigil or Sunday) unless truly restricted by illness/emergency and to live according to the Church's whole body of teachings.
Each person must have a sponsor, and it must only be one (1) person. Sponsors are encouraged to attend all the preparation sessions in a supportive role. Sponsors must meet the following requirements at the minimum, but should be fully active in their own parishes, and must be able to validly receive Holy Communion each Sunday.
- Must be at least 16 years old;
- Must be fully initiated in the Catholic Church (Baptized, Confirmed, Holy Communion)
- Must not be parent/guardian of the adult
- If married, marriage must be formally recognized by the Catholic Church.
- Is not the spouse or fiancé of the intended participant. Sponsors will be expected to validly receive Holy Communion during the Rite of Confirmation with their candidates. If a person is unable to receive Holy Communion due to marital status, they are ineligible to serve as sponsor. If there is any question about who can sponsor or if a candidate cannot provide one, notify the Director of Faith Formation immediately.
- Turn in a Certificate to Serve as Sponsor to the Director of Faith Formation.
We are excited to help you with this process. If you have questions, please contact Robin Harris to schedule a personal appointment and discussion of your inquiry. There are several steps in the process, so the only commitment you make initially is to take the First Step and Inquire. Please complete the linked forms and we will soon contact you. We look forward to hearing from you!
Formation Office hours of operation are Monday to Thursday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. For your convenience, our formation staff can set an appointment for your family needs. To set up a personal appointment contact Robin Harris for more information on how you can connect into the life of the parish and Church: [email protected] or (817) 510 2726.
Director of Faith Formation
(817) 510 2726